Summer Safety: Protect Against Heat
With the summer in full swing it is good to remember a few tips for employees and construction owners. Heat related illness can be deadly so it is important to remember how to protect against these conditions.
- Go easier for the first week in the heat.
- Wear light clothing, and include a shirt that serves as a shield from the sun’s rays.
- Drink water every 15 minutes. Don’t wait until you feel thirsty.
- Plan the day to tackle tougher jobs during the cooler morning hours.
- Rest in shaded areas or air conditioning, if possible.
- Finally, watch for signs of heat illness — especially heat stroke! Symptoms of heat stroke include dry, hot skin with no sweating, mental confusion, loss of consciousness, seizures and convulsions. Heat stroke is a medical emergency requiring a 911 call and immediate cooling.